Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Praying for our kids...


"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." - Lamentations 3:22-23 

I remember Noah's first day of preschool. He was 4 years old. We had already taken him to meet his teacher, see the other kids, and ask any questions we might have. But on the first day, as we pulled into the parking lot, I had a hard time giving him up. I couldn't make myself open my door and get him out.

I did the only thing I knew to do. I prayed. I asked God to take care of him, knowing I couldn't. 

That prayer helped me get out of the car, walk Noah into his class, and make it back to the car with some composure. That prayer began a habit that has continued even now. 

On the way to school, each day, we pray. The brief time when he took the bus, we prayed for he left. I pray for his safety, for his friends, for him to be an example of Jesus to everyone around him. Sometimes, those prayers are specific. Tests, trouble with his friends, or friends who are in trouble. 

Tomorrow morning, Noah will start 7th grade. It's after 1 a.m. and I'm wide awake. Summer has flown by so quickly. I want more time with him. I want to have more lazy days, more sleeping in, more "What can we do today?" questions. More geocaching, more movies, more Legos, more board games. 

But tomorrow, he will go to school, and on the way there, I will pray with him. And I will have peace. 

If you have a kiddo headed off to school, preschool, college, please join me in praying for them. Whether that kid is your son or daughter, niece or nephew, or maybe a grandchild, or a friend, pray for them. Praying big and praying specific. Here are some of the things I pray about, in case the list can help you get started...

  • His safety
  • His concentration - that God will help him focus and pay attention, and remember what he needs to remember
  • His friends - that they will be kind to each other, appreciate each other, and be good examples for each other
  • His teachers - that they will have the patience they need, and the excitement they need to pass their knowledge along to the kiddos
  • That Noah will be the kid God created him to be
  • That Noah will make the right choices, and that when he doesn't, he will know he is still unconditionally loved - by his parents, and most of all by God

That's just some of them, and they change frequently. I know a lot of you are already praying for and with your kids, and I would love to hear your list of things you pray for your kids. And if you haven't started praying with your kids, why not try it now? The peace that comes with it can't be beat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment